Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Origin of Apexture Photography

A few friends had asked me the meaning of "apexture". How did Ghee Sin and I come out with that word? Was it something random that we stumbled upon?

Fact is, there is no such English word as "apexture". We created it. Ghee Sin and I and another friend. More on that person later.

We first thought of using our own names, as that would add a personal touch to our photography blog and clients would easily associate it to us. Let me see.. [putting on my thinking cap]

Ah Beng Photography. All Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia know Ah Beng. It is a household name. Everyone will be able to connect with that name. Without doubt it will be a hit. But as usual, good things don't lay around for long. The name is taken. Claimed by a bunch of young males who dress like monkeys and cruise in town with bat cars.

Ghee Sin Photography. Sounds alright. Problem is the name bearer doesn't want his name to be in public's eyes. I suspect it is a ciphertext that leads to endless wealth and the name bearer wants to keep it to himself while he himself decrypts it.

Beng and Sin Photography. The result of combining both our names. More appropriate I would say as the website will host both our works. But when we shorten it, it becomes BS. Yes, BS. Most of us BS everyday but I don't think you want BS as your title.

Sadly, our own names didn't work. I had to blame that on our parents for not giving us better names (:

So, we had to think of something generic instead. We cooked up all kind of names. My memory eluded me here and I can't remember any of them. Needless to say, they weren't good enough.

Finally, Ghee Sin suggested "aperture". Now, that was a good one. Photo is created when light is reflected off different surfaces, and falls onto a CMOS sensor. Aperture is the opening in front of the sensor that ultimately controls the amount of light that reaches the sensor. When we talk photography, we can't neglect aperture. Apple even named their image editing software as Aperture.

You should have guessed it. Aperture Photography was taken. Ghee Sin and I had to think of something else.

While searching for new ideas, I happened to message a friend of mine in MSN. I told her the situation and ask if she could come out with some good idea. She did. She changed the "r" to "x" and tadaa, we had Apexture. Apexture carries the definition of the highest point of something. In our context that something is photography (: Thank you so much, Yin Leng.

With that, Apexture Photography is born.

4 comments: